Friday, August 22, 2014

Kicked My Butt

 

This is me
Do you ever have those nights when you dream over and over again that you have to pee?  I had one of those last night and woke up at three in the morning with a full bladder.  I turn over, my back aching and roll out of bed only to have my lower back seize up on me and drop me to the floor in excruciating pain. 

This was just one of the many times in the past few years that I realized I am an overweight old lady.  Unfortunately things are only going to get worse.  It seems that once you hit thirty, your body falls apart never to be whole again.

In an effort to stave this off I have decided to do something about it, however small.  With the state of my lower back right now I am limited in the types of exercises I can do.  It does seem that, except for sit ups, exercises that increase core strength really help.  Therefore I have decided to go through my pins on exercises and find ones to help get me in shape and strengthen my back.

As you can see from the picture, I'm not in the best of shape so I will warn you, I did modify and/or decrease the number of reps on several exercises.  If you want the original pin you can find the link here.  This workout, while hard, was great and totally kicked my but.  The wonderful thing was it only took like ten minutes and had me breathing hard, sweat dripping down my face.  I also like that it does not require a gym, weights, or any special tool of any kind.  Just a wall and your own bodyweight.


                                             
                                                                  The No Equipment Workout
 
Exercise #1:  The wall sit
Start off sitting against the wall and carefully cross one leg over the other.  It took me a second to get my leg up, but once you do it goes pretty easy.  Place your arms up like a goal post next to your head.  Then raise your arms straight up and then return to the original position.

Do 12 reps, then switch legs and repeat for another 12 reps.












 

Exercise #2:  Side plank
This was a hard one to get into position.  Start on your side resting on your arm as pictured.  Then raise your hip up off the floor and do your best to get your top leg up along the wall as pictured, other arm extending into the air.  If you can't get your top leg up onto the wall don't fret just raise your hip up off the ground legs parallel and stacked one on top of the other.

Hold position for thirty seconds.  Switch and repeat on the other side.  I managed to get a good 15 seconds on each side.

Exercise #3:  Climb the Wall
Okay so this one I modified because I mean who can hold this position for long?  Maybe super man.  It was hard enough for me to hold it long enough for my husband to get the picture.
 
Modification:
Start in the plank position as pictured to the left, if you can raise your legs up the wall as in the previous picture or just realize that you have to start somewhere and do what you can. 
Once in starting position proceed to pull your knee up towards your chest and back to starting position.

Continue alternating legs for 1 minute.  Not gonna lie I only made it 30 seconds.
Exercise #4:  Let's call this wall push-ups with a twist
Start facing the wall, arms held up in front, palms against the wall.  Lift your right leg up, knee bent.





Then lean into the wall, arms bent at the elbow as you extend your right leg out behind you.

Repeat for 10 reps.  Switch legs and do another 10 reps.

 

Exercise #5:  Downward Dog
Start out in plank position.  Again for added difficulty you can be a hero and put your feet up level with your hips against the wall.  Once in position push back, lifting your but and hips up into downward dog. 

Do 15 reps.

Exercise #6:  Bridge
Lay down face up on the floor and scoot up to the wall.  Keep one knee bent, foot on the floor and crawl the other leg up the wall, knee bent to ninety degrees.
Then lift your hips up off the ground while pulling the leg up towards the ceiling.  Notice here how my right leg is angled back towards my face.  It should actually be pointed towards the ceiling in an L shape.

Do 15 reps, switch legs and repeat.  I think I got in 10 reps before I wimped out.
Exercise #7:  Plank
Get into plank position, again if you are super human put your feet up against the wall level with your hips.

Hold position for 1 minute.  If you are out of shape like me you will be shaking like a leaf after 20 secs and fall on the floor after 30 secs.
Exercise #8:  Squat Jumps
If you have any energy left, I didn't, you can do these babies.  Or when we get stronger the pin says to do these in between each of the other exercises.

Start off in a deep squat, deeper than I can do here.  Then explosively jump up as high as you can into the air and back down into a squat. 

Do for 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment