Tuesday, August 19, 2014

DIY Desk



I know Halloween is still pretty far away, but my niece keeps asking me when I'm going to start on her costume and my husband keeps asking me when I'm going to start on the curtains.  So I guess I'm just going to have to start getting the craft/sewing room ready.  I still have everything packed away in boxes from our move two months ago.

As I was unpacking, I thought why not organize and improve my craft room while I go.  First things first, I would love a bigger cutting table.  I'm tired of hunching and crawling across the floor to pin and cut out my patterns.  Why not make it easier on by old lady back?  And of course, I have just the pin for that.  Or thought I did anyway, but as it turns out all the links I had went to websites for other things or needed you to sign up to view the article.  No problem, it looked easy enough to replicate from the photograph.

The basic concept is to use stand alone bookshelves and wood planking of some kind, I used old shelves that no longer had a home, to create a table.  For now I just did a quickie job to see if it would work out nicely and I figured I would improve upon it the next time I had some more time and money. 

DIY Desk

Step 1:  Space two identically sized bookshelves to whatever distance you want the length of your table to be.  If you want to be real sanno you could always secure the bookshelves by nailing 2x4s to the sides (i.e. hooking the bookshelves pictured together via the sides facing the front of the picture and the two sides opposite).

Step 2:  Use a sheet of plywood or old wood planks of any kind to span the distance between the bookshelves.  Again you could nail them down to the tops of the bookshelves to make it more secure, but I like having the ability to easily take it apart for moves or even if I just want to use the pieces for another project.

That's all it takes.  Super fast and super easy.  Of course in the future I will be getting a longer piece of plywood to span a longer distance and also be all one piece.  I think I will also paint it black to match the bookshelves.  Don't worry I will be sure to update this post when I do so you can all follow along with me.  Until next time, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment