Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Taste of the Orient

I love being barefoot in the kitchen. No really, I hate wearing shoes. Here I am in the kitchen, starving and wondering what to make for dinner. With nothing in particular in mind I search through Pinterest for the perfect dish. Hmmm Roasted Garlic Alfredo?  Nope looks like it takes too long, definitely another night though. Honey Balsamic Pork Chops? Yes please, oh wait no honey. Then I stumble upon it. A quick stir fry, the one, the only, PF Chang's recipe for Mongolian Beef.

Begin by gathering your ingredients.

Onion, sliced or diced
Garlic, minced
Flank steak (I used skirt steak), cut into thin strips
1/4C corn starch
Oil

Sauce
1/2C soy sauce
1/2C water
1/2C packed brown sugar

These are the ingredients I used but feel free to change it up with whatever veggies you like. Don't be afraid to adjust recipes, that's the best part of cooking. I also changed things for use in a wok instead of the saucepan the recipe called for.

I first coated the beef with cornstarch in a large bowl and set it aside while I prepared the ingredients for the sauce, mixing them together in a small bowl. Then I heated some oil up in the wok and fried the beef in small batches. I set the beef aside then worked on scraping all the charred cornstarch glue out of my wok. Then I added some more oil and sautéed the garlic. When a nice golden brown, add the sauce ingredients to the wok and simmer until it starts to thicken. Once to the desired consistency, add the beef and cook for another couple of minutes. While still a thick enough consistency to coat the meat, I still had plenty of extra sauce to pour over the rice. Oh yeah I forgot to say rinse your rice and add it to the rice cooker first thing so that it is ready when you are done with the stir fry.

After all was said and done my husband and I polished I off every last bit it was so good. I definitely recommend this dish and will cook it many more times in the future.

Looking forward to what other scrumptious dishes the future holds. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment