Friday, October 10, 2014

10 Tips on Networking


As I walk into the as yet uncrowded room, my palms are instantly covered with a sheen of sweat, my heart races and my stomach does a flip. Being an introvert the thought of walking up to complete strangers and starting a conversation makes me want to run away as fast as humanly possible never to return. But alas I need this for my business so I force myself to mingle. 

Networking is hard if you don't know what you are doing and have no clear goals in mind. My first few attempts were shaky as I fumbled around in the dark. Then I went to a seminar specifically on how to network where they told me, "everyone is here to network, you are not butting into any conversation you are introducing yourself to others who are there specifically to meet you."  Wow what an eye opener. Now instead of feeling like an intruder I feel a little more comfortable insinuating myself into the circles of professionals standing around chatting. 

I'm still new at this but I thought I'd share what I've learned so far. 

10 tips on how to network to your best advantage. 

#1
You are not an intruder, everyone who is at a networking event wants to talk to you. 


#2
Have a clear goal in mind as to what you wish to get out of the session. Think big. So for example, if I wish to build my acupuncture practice I should strive to meet other health care professionals that I could set up as referral sources or schedule lunches with to discuss how I can help them help their patients. As opposed to randomly talking to everyone in the hopes that they might come and get a treatment from me. 

#3
Search for contacts that can help with the business aspects of your practice, i.e. A commercial real estate agent to help me find a space for lease or a social marketing guru to help me with my hopeless ineptitude when it comes to technology. 

#4
Ask what you can do to help others. Keep in mind the connections you make with people and send business their way or help them out with a problem. It will be returned to you times three. 

#5
DO NOT try and sell. The goal is to socialize and make lasting connections not sell your product or service. The time for that will come, but ease into it as the conversation allows. 
Nobody likes this guy. 


#6
Treat your business cards like a prized commodity. Just relax and socialize, if they want your card they will ask for it. Forcing your card on someone leads to tons of your business cards ending up in the trash can. The same should be said of asking for business cards. If you don't think you need theirs then don't ask for it. The goal is to collect ones you may need in the future. 


#7
Bring a pen. Jot down notes on the business cards you do take to help you remember the conversation later. You may also want to write down any information about the contact that will be helpful in the future. 

#8
Be professional at all times. This means looking professional as well as acting professional. If you are anything like me you hate wearing formal clothes or even business casual. Suck it up, I had to go buy some suit jackets to look nice while staying warm and you should too. On the same note, act professional as well. Stay sober at the events and treat everyone with respect. You never know who they may know. 


#9
No need to be picky, talk to random people as well as those you've hand picked. Looking at the registry of attendees is a great idea to make sure you meet certain contacts, but be aware that you never know who is going to give your business that lift it needs. It isn't always who you think it's going to be.  Follow up on leads by sending a card or email. 

#10
Last but not least. Be yourself. If you are insincere they will know or find out later which could hurt you in the long run. 

Made a bunch of helpful contacts at the Big O! Show this week. Going to start following up tomorrow. Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment