Monday, September 8, 2014

Jogging the Memory Banks


I was watching Psych today. Love that show!  Sean Spencer is so funny. His observational prowess is incredible, he might just have super powers. And that catchy opening tune. How can you not like that show. But I digress. Watching him solve a crime, remembering every single detail even days later makes me jealous. As I get older my memory fades a little more everyday. Where did I put my keys?  Shoot I forgot I had an appointment today. I feel like I've got the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. 


Watching his exhuberance has made me determined to do something about that.  So today we are going to investigate ways to improve memory and brain function. 


I'm sure you've all heard of ways to work your brain. How about the one where you use your non-dominant hand to do common tasks like brushing your teeth. That one is pretty hard by the way. I'm looking for something a little more advanced. Sean Spencer style. Psych is full of tricks on how to train your brain for better observation and mental capacity. 


I'm going to start off by becoming more aware of my surroundings.  Every time I walk into a room I'm going to take a quick scan and try to notice things. Like the number of hats or the color of the wall. I'll make it into a little game. Kind of like those games where you find objects or find what is different between two pictures. 


Speaking of games that's another great way to build brain cells. I've found some great Apps to help me do this. One is a trivia app called Quiz Up and the other helps you learn new languages called DuoLingo. Awesome apps, I feel the brain cells replicating as we speak. 


Next up it seems stress prevents the brain from functioning at its highest level. I think I will take up yoga to relax a little as well as listen to some music. 

That's all I have for now. Let me know if you have any ideas to help. In the meantime wish me luck. 


No comments:

Post a Comment