Monday, September 1, 2014

How to turn a strap right side out

Putting right sides together I fold the strap piece in half and stitch along the outer and bottom edges, leaving on end open to turn it right side out.  That's the hard part though, turning it right side out after you've already stitched the rest together.  Maybe if I had little elf sized fingers I could push my fingers up there and grab the end to pull through.  But I don't so I begin the arduous process of turning the strap right side out.  I try shoving the corner through, but can't push it past a certain point before it bunches up and gets stuck.  Next I try attaching a safety pin to the corner and slowly push it up through the other end.  Fifteen minutes and several sore fingers later I finally get it pulled all the way through.  Not my idea of a good time, and there is still the other one left to do.  There has got to be a better way right?  Maybe my friends on Pinterest can help me out.  I seem to remember pinning a list of sewing tricks for beginners.

Here it is, how to turn a tube inside out.  Apparently there are tools for this sort of thing, but it is way too late for Joann's to be open.  It seems to be just a tube and a stick.  Easy enough to find something here that will work the same.  In fact, I know the perfect thing.  I walk into the kitchen, slide open the drawer and pull out a set of chopsticks and holder.  This will work perfectly I just need to cut open the other end of the holder so it will be a tube.  I grab some scissors and cut off the closed end so that I have an open cylinder or prism in this case for all you geometrically correct people.

Now that I have my tools at hand I prepare to turn the tube or strap right side out by sliding the tube or chopstick case into the open end of the strap.  Once I push it all the way down to the closed end I then use one of the chopsticks to push the closed end of the strap through the tube and out the other side.  In no time at all, a couple of seconds really, I have the strap turned right side out.  A tear beads up in the corner of my eye and I laugh with joy to have it done so easily.  Now I just have to finish sewing up the rest of the dress.  I wish it could all be that easy.





Whoever thought of how to do that was a genius, and for that I thank you.  Wish me luck that tomorrows pin will be that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment