Thursday, September 25, 2014

Frozen bananas

Most women when walking through the mall get excited about shopping for shoes or clothes.  All the flashy items calling to them from the store front windows.  Me on the other hand couldn't care less about a pair of heels or the latest Coach bag.  What calls to me every time I enter a mall is the thought of getting a frozen banana.  I don't really even like chocolate (I know, I know who doesn't like chocolate) I just love the taste of a frozen banana.  There must be some sort of magic that happens when you freeze a banana that just makes it taste better. 

I often buy banans at the store because I love them so much, but they go bad too fast to get more than two or three at a time.  Which isn't a bad thing because you can make banana bread out of the over ripe ones.  Making bread takes time, however, which I don't always have.  Not to mention the fact that hubby gets grossed out by the look of over ripe bananas.  He has this weird paranoia about food going bad.  I digress, the point is I needed something to do with all the extra bananas that would otherwise go bad if I don't use them.  

Therefore I had the brilliant idea after the last trip to the mall to make my very own frozen bananas.  The kind that only cost 50 cents a pound instead of four dollars a banana.  I didn't look up any pins just decided to wing it this time.  I mean how hard could it be to freeze a banana?

How to Make Frozen Bananas

Step 1:  Peel the bananas and either slice them into pieces for future smoothies or keep them whole to dip in chocolate or eat plain.


Step 2:  Place the slices and/or whole bananas on a flat cookie or baking sheet making sure to have a small space in between each one.  From what I have gleaned you need to freeze the fruit like this first so that they don't stick together or get freezer burn.


Step 3:  Place a piece of press and seal over the backing sheet.


Step 4:  Place baking sheet in the freezer until frozen.  Once frozen you can transfer the pieces into Ziplocs.  Or just eat them. 



The process worked great!  I now have several frozen bananas and little frozen pieces for smoothies.  They taste great too and kept my bananas from going bad.  I love this.  I ate two whole bananas today in fact, couldn't help myself.  Next stop?  Dipping them in chocolate for the hubby.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment