Tuesday, September 2, 2014

DIY Easy Hemming Tool

Yesterday I pretty much finished the bodice for Coca Cola's (AKA A), her hand picked nickname I swear, dress and today I was going to start on the skirt to finish out the dress.  First though I needed to press up the bottom of the bodice lining by 5/8".  If you are anything like me this is just one more thing in sewing I hate because I can never get that 5/8" perfect all the way across which then messes up the rest of the dress when I stitch it to the skirt. 

I learned from yesterday's frustrations to jump straight to Pinterest and look for some help.  In that same little tips and tricks pin for beginners I also found this little baby on how to make a hemming tool.  How great is that? 

First I gather up my tools, just what you see here in the picture, a piece of cardboard, a ruler, and a pen.  I started by marking my piece of cardboard with the marker in a straight line across the top, 5/8" down.

 
 
 

Then I take my fabric to be "hemmed" and fold it over the top of the cardboard and up to my 5/8" marking.  Next up use your iron to then iron across the fabric.  While this doesn't create a solid crease due to the thickness of the cardboard, it does leave a slight crease that is easily visible when you remove the tool.  After removing the cardboard I then re-ironed the crease to get a nice solid hem.
 
 

Et Voila.  A beautiful, even hem in no time at all without all the hassle of measuring.  See you tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment