Thursday, December 18, 2014

DIY Canvas Photo Coasters



My mom has been missing her kitties while they are in lock-up at the county boarding house.  Springing them isn't an option until she finds a new place so I thought I would make her some commerative kitty coasters to reminisce over while they are gone.  I have some of my lil doggies from over the years and I absolutely love them.

While down at the local craft store, I saw some canvases in a perfect coaster size for $1 on sale so I picked them up along with some Modge Podge and looked up the pin on how to transfer photos to canvas.  I know I've seen that around somewhere.  Oh yes here it is.  Wonderful tutorial.

Didn't take long only about an hour with drying time and everything.  It took longer to pick out the pictures than it did to make the coasters.


Step 1:
Pick out some cute and cuddly kitty pictures.  Check.



Step 2:  Print out said pictures and cut them down to size (4X4 fit perfectly for the coasters).

Step 3:  Paint a thin layer of Modge Podge (matte finish) onto the canvas coaster, then lay the photo face up on top.  Quickly use an old membership or credit card to smooth out the surface, getting rid of all the bubbles and wrinkles.  Trust me I forgot this step and have some wrinkles on the coasters.  Good news is you don't notice from a good eye distance away.  Phew!  Let dry.


Step 4:  After the pictures have dried, coat with another thin layer of Modge Podge and let dry again.  Repeat as many times as you like to create a nice seal on top.  I should probably have done more than one coat, but...



Note: the picture didn't fit the coaster so I painted the edges black. 


Step 5:  Enjoy your coasters



All in all it turned out pretty good and I'm pretty sure the mamas will like them.  Next up transferring photos onto wood.  Found out it requires a gel medium, not Modge Podge so it looks like I'm headed back to the craft store.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Those are even her actuall cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for the IFSC code of any bank branch then you can visit here- https://rupeenomics.com/ifsccodes/ifsc/

    ReplyDelete