Friday, November 21, 2014

DIY Dream Catcher



A scream catches in my throat and I sit up in bed, heart racing, eyes wide open.  Beads of sweat drip down my forehead as I look back and forth trying to reconcile the images from my dream...no, nightmare... with the reality of my bedroom. 

If you are anything like me this was a common occurrence for you.  I would have given anything to be rid of those horrible dreams that seem so real while you are asleep.  Once I found out my beautiful nieces sometimes have  nightmares too I thought I would make them one of these, a dream catcher. 

According to Native American culture, dream catchers sort of filter your dreams letting the good ones slip through and catching the bad ones in the web which perish with the first rays of a new day. 
 DIY Dream Catcher
 
 
There are quite a few tutorials out there and not a few pins on this subject as well, but none of the ones I saw really spelled it out the way this you tube video did.  So for a really great video to follow click here.


Step 1:  You will need a metal or other type of hoop, some string or twine for the outside and also some yarn or thread for the inner design.  Optionally you will also need beads or tokens and some feathers.

This is a small metal bangle I bought at the dollar store.  I also found some larger ones at the craft store for really cheap.
 

 
Start off by tying your twine, thread, or in my case some ribbon I had lying about, to your hoop with a standard knot.  You should even double knot it to be sure it doesn't come undone.
 


Step 2:  Start winding your ribbon around and around the hoop, covering all the space with your ribbon.  Note:  it really helps to have your ribbon in a little ball like this so you can easily throw it through the hoop as you go.  As you can see I balled up the ribbon and held it with a hair tie.

 
Here I am half way through.  It took a long time with ribbon and even longer when I did the second one with embroidery floss.  Don't give up, the end result is totally worth it.

 
 
Step 3:  You should now have the hoop completely covered all around.  Once back to the beginning, you will tie both ends together with a knot and you can even create a loop for hanging as I did by tying a knot at the top of the ribbon as well. 
 
Now to start on the inner web design you will need to take your thread or yarn and tie a knot at the top part of the hoop.  This will be the light purple (looks pink) floss in the picture below.


Step 4:  Placing a finger width (or however much you want the space to be for the webbing) between the floss, wrap the floss over the hoop like so.


Bring the floss over and under the hoop and back up through your web.



Pull it tight and you should have a pseudo knot and the beginnings of your web like so.


Repeat, repeat, repeat all the way around back up to the top where you started.  If you can't quite grasp what I mean by my picture then please refer to the video above.  It really does have wonderful instructions.  This is what it should look like up to this point.


Step 5:  You will now repeat the process, but instead of going over and under the hoop you will be going over and under the threading for the outer ring of your web.  Note:  for added flare you can slip some beads or buttons, etc. on the thread as you go.  As a beginner I just wanted to see if I could do it before getting all fancy.

 


Hope that was clear.  This is what the second ring looks like.  The tighter you pull your thread the better.
 


Now keep repeating the process around and around creating ever more rings of webbing until you can't do anymore.  Then simply tie off the last bit with a knot in the center of your work.  Here is what it looks like.
 
 

Now that the basic dream catcher is made, it's time to attach some dangling feathers.  Simply use the thread to tie a knot around the top of the feather and then attach it with a knot to the dream catcher.  I hung two at different lengths.
 


Here is what the finished product looked like. 






















Turned out pretty nice.  I hope it works.  Wish me luck.


 

1 comment: