Sunday, November 23, 2014

Choose Your Own Adventure: A Scarf Tutorial



On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a partridge in a pear tree, but what I really wished he'd given me was a scarf.  These Nebraska winters are COLD!!

Being from sunny California originally I've never had need of a scarf until I came face to face with my first Nebraska winter.  Talk about cold.  I never realized how cold my nose and ears could get.  Regrettably I was forced to purchase my first scarf and I find I actually quite like to wear them now.  I have several sarapis, or old lady wraps as my hubby calls them, in all different colors.  I don't care if I look like an old lady, they keep me warm.

With winter now in full swing I thought I would learn to make my own scarves and make one each for my nieces.

To learn how to make an infinity scarf proceed to Infinity Scarf.  To learn how to make a regular old scarf proceed to DIY Garden Variety Scarf.

Infinity Scarf

Dead End. :(  Unfortunately for me, but good news for you all the tutorials I could find were for making an infinity scarf.  However, I just wanted to make a regular old scarf.   Click here for one such tutorial.


DIY Garden Variety Scarf 

Step 1:  Choose a fabric, something with good pliability.  Unfortunately for monkey girl I picked a nice crisp cotton fabric for her scarf because I knew she would love the plaid pattern, but as it turns out it is not very pliable.  I'm hoping it will get softer with washing. 


Step 2:  Cut said fabric to the desired length and width, making sure to add seam allowance around the edges.  To save yourself time go to substep A.
  • A:  Cut your fabric on the fold to save yourself the time of doing two side seams.


Step 3:  With right sides together sew the side seam or seams together.  

To create a fringe look at the ends of the scarf go to step A.  To make a tapered or squared off look to the ends go to step B.

  • A:  Turn the tube of fabric right side out.  Iron the fabric and seams flat then sew each end closed three to four inches from the edge.  Then cut vertical slits in the end pieces up to your stitch line for fringe.
  • B:  Sew one end closed and the other 2/3rds closed.  Turn right side out and either ladder stitch the opening closed or top stitch both sides to hide the closure.

This brings us to the end of our adventure.  Hopefully your scarf turned out as nicely as both of mine.  I hope the girls like them.  Wish me luck.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know Butterfly will especially love her fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I would like to order an infinity scarf for mine please... :-)

    ReplyDelete