Thursday, November 27, 2014

Banana Cream Pie



I'm all about the pies, no cakes.  I'm all about the pies, no cakes.  Thanksgiving is a time for pies, or so I hear so that's what I'm making.  Of course nothing will do but that I make a banana cream pie for my sister.  And if my dad was here I'd be making a lemon pie.  My mom isn't picky she loves pies, but I would probably need to make her a pumpkin pie.

As pies go Banana Cream Pie is easy to make, yeah!  Once again thank you Betty Crocker for your wonderful recipes.

Ingredients: (I used an 8-inch pie shell recipe for a 9-inch pie because I don't like it to overflow)

1/2 C Sugar
3 tbsp Corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
2 C milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1tbsp butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla
9 or 8 inch graham cracker crust

First you mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a sauce pan.  Then slowly stir in the milk.  Next you cook it over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.


Or rather I tried to stir constantly as I gathered the ingredients for the next step which requires you to have the eggs yolks prepared, oops.  Anyway boil it for one minute then stir in half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks (yeah didn't realize it was supposed to be just the yolks until I went to write this which might explain why it didn't come out as smooth as usual) then blend into mixture still left in the pan.  Boil for one minute.  Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla then cover with a piece of saran wrap and let cool to room temperature.


While you let the mixture cool, slice up two ripe bananas and line pie crust with the banana slices.  Once mixture is cool, pour evenly into crust and refrigerate until needed.


Even though I forgot and used the whole egg it still came out tasting like a banana cream pie, but just in case I will have to make another one for my sister if she doesn't like this one.  Note to self:  don't try to cook multiple things at the same time.  Wish me luck.



1 comment: